Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Rest of the Process

Having finished the 12 x 12 canvases pictured in an earlier post, I moved on to a quartet of larger work - each piece is 16"x32".  This shows a bit of the progress - here I am into the 3rd or 4th layer, building texture and basic composition of shapes and flow.  Of course I always prefer, when I do a work in a form meant to hang together, that the entire work sells.  But I also try to make it possible to pluck one or two pieces out so that they work as pairs or singly.

 Here the flower shapes are emerging - looking like hollyhocks, loosely interpreted.  Within the texture and color I am almost always looking for a certain mood issuing forth from memory, or as a reflection of memory.  I paint to leave as much room as possible for the viewer's memories, sparked by my work, to flood in.  When the viewer is able to find his/her own memory in the painting, the conversation is complete.
 This is the most right hand side of the quartet - very textural, very colorful.  The narrow shape of the piece keeps it from being overwhelming.  It is rich and intimate close up, soft and quiet from a distance.

This is the most left hand side of the quartet.

You can see all four pieces by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. The word beautiful is so over used but in this case I can find no other word ....these are so full of beauty. The color, the textures, just the right amount of detail. It is the meadow in my mind. Beautiful Whitney I hope I get to see it in person...and I love seeing your real studio...it inspires me to get mine looking like that.....great post thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bouquet is really elegant. . .

    Beautiful Crimson.

    Greetings.
    ruma

    ReplyDelete